Try This: How Grenada's Spice Market Inspired My 'Turmeric Salve' Concoction
Updated: Jan 30, 2019
One of my main objectives when I visited the "Spice Island" of Grenada was to return with a haul of seasonings and spices. At Grenada's Spice Market in Market Square, I purchased so much nutmeg, of course, but also Moringa, Allspice, Saffron, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Curry and my current lifesaver, Turmeric. There are many ways to work with Turmeric. It is a natural antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent, which means it ought to be a staple in your skincare regimen -- both topically and internally. You can apply it directly on your skin's 'challenges,' and even sprinkle a teaspoon or two in your green smoothie every day.
What I Concocted: Grenadian Turmeric Salve for Pimple Spot Treatment
What It Replaces: Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10 Acne Medication with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, Pimple Spot Treatment & Medicine for Acne Skin Care + Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment with Salicylic Acid
1) I took a warm compress and pressed it gently on the pimple which happened to be on my forehead. I repeated as the compress cooled.
2) After the compress, I cleaned the area with Witch Hazel.
3) I prepared a paste made with several shakes of my Turmeric Powder from Grenada (pictured), the gel from one leaf of my Aloe plant (also pictured) and a small bit of Rose Hip Seed Oil as a carrier (not pictured). No exact measurements, but, I'd go with a 4:1 ratio of Turmeric Powder to Rose Hip Seed Oil. Definitely don't overdue the oil. You can stir it, but I gave it a few pulses in my Magic Bullet because I wanted to make enough to refrigerate for later use. It should have a thick, pasty consistency.
4) I applied the paste to my compress- and Witch Hazel-prepped pimple and let it stay overnight, being mindful of what I touched because Turmeric stains.
5) The very next morning, the inflammation went down about 95%, and the complete healing process began and resolved itself very quickly -- within 24 hours. I swiped it off with some Witch Hazel again and washed my face regularly.
I am not sure about how this works with cystic acne blemishes or even problem areas other than the T-Zone; or how other blends of Turmeric will fare -- I am partial to the Grenadian-sourced variety. But I've done this several times and each time enjoyed the same, great result: Reduced inflammation. Next, I will be trying the full-on face mask. Let me know how it works for you and also check out "Here are10 Health Benefits and Uses for Turmeric Curcumin Supplements" when you get a moment.
Here are some of my favorite shots from Grenada's Spice Market in St. George's: